Saturday, March 16, 2013

Why do you wake up every morning?

Some days, when the hustle and bustle of life
Or the monotony of everyday chores
Takes over and drowns me in it
I ask myself - Why?

Why do I wake up each morning to face the day
And leave my warm, welcoming bed
To trod to school, book in hand
With the multitude of other young adults
Finding a place in this hubbub while
Whatsapping while updating Facebook while uploading photos on Instagram while checking lecture venues while talking to a friend

We alight from our respective hrududils
Get along with our days, get along with our classes, get along with our lives

So Why?

When we lose track of Why we lose track of How. A dear friend of mine once shared this quote: You who have a Why can go through any How to get there.

We either flit in and out of our narratives heads down, writing chapter after chapter. Not knowing what's next. Not bothering.
Or we stop at a period. We wonder, think and contemplate.
Looking externally for answers.
Rarely, we do so internally - Introspection they say.

I was stuck for a while, not knowing the answer to the question.
I wake up every morning... because I have to?
And Why do I have to?
Because there are lessons to go to.
And Why do I have to go for lessons?
Because it will affect my grades.
And Why do my grades matter?
Because they determine the opportunities I get later on in life.

And you get the rest of this monologue.

When I dug deeper,
I realised the answer I'd been repressing all this time: I wake up in the morning because I need to please people.

Their expectations, demands and wants. These fuel my actions, necessitates my daily pursuit.


It's not a good reason to wake up. And that has got to change.

1 comment:

Jac said...

You actually did something I've been meaning to do to myself too. Haha. Keep probing. and probing. and probing. Really, just be honest. to the death of honesty with yourself. and then you discover the true reasons. not alibis. not what ifs, not if only.
but why you really do what you do. and it's not because of ______. But because you want to.