Thursday, January 03, 2013

Back from Down Under

Just slightly less than a week back, I came home after a long family trip to Australia. Long because 1) it stretched over 17 days, making me miss one camp, one Christmas party and Christmas in Singapore; 2) the family started being sick of each other, evident by more frequent complains, quarrels and disagreements.

Indeed, I missed home. But while there, I really enjoyed myself.

When in Sydney, I learnt to appreciate the safe and clean environment we have in Singapore. The situation in Singapore does not warrant the law to step in to demarcate alcohol-free zones. People don't walk around high at 7pm. I would be extremely worried if my child was out at night there, but not here.

When in Blue Mountains (Katoomba, Blackheath, Shipley, Jenolan), I learnt that going off track beats overrated tourist attractions. I experienced serenity, and awed at trees, waterfalls, caves, rock cliffs and wildlife. I saw my classroom content come to life as I had a Lyrebird encounter. Cockatoos and Rosellas flew in the wild, not in zoos, not in cages. Meeting Chew and Kim, I learnt that their life, though seemingly enviable, had its challenges - I learnt not to covet.

When in Melbourne, I experienced friendship. Staying with Mom and a close friend of hers, I imagined and envied having such friends who would house me and my family for days and fight over who's to pay. I also cooked more than I've ever did, mostly out of boredom. But I realised a real satisfaction and joy in it.

While driving along the coast at Great Ocean Road (Geelong, Warrnambool, Hamilton) I learnt to be a good navigator. Through communication, understanding and patience, we got to our destinations mostly without turning around. We saw koalas and how lazy they could be, kanagroos and their adorable jumping, emus and their graceful walks.

When in the Grampians, we spent Christmas. A quiet, humble affair of instant noodles, and store-bought roasted chicken. It wasn't much - it didn't have to be. The quiet days meant spending more time together. And I definitely drew closer to my family.

I used to take these family vacations for granted, because of all the time I had to sacrifice and because of the many things I had to miss. But I'm starting to have a paradigm shift. These trips materialise only because my parents save up on annual leave and pour money into the costs of vacationing. And for that, I am grateful.

No comments: