Monday, February 25, 2013

Of intentions, perceptions and social graces

I forgive you and held myself back from acting rashly, because I'm the bigger person. And I have to be, because there are those who are deficient on social graces.

So I've had it up to here with your nonsense. And I do not know how much more of it I can endure before confronting you not-so-nicely to your faces. I can only be grateful to those who've been there through my almost weekly rants.

I refuse to let down, reluctant to let you get through to me. Because I know life is full of people who will try to bring me down and give me shit. And I fight back by holding back. It would be several times easier to stoop down to your level and start an argument. But that's unnecessary, and it would only serve as evidence that I am on par with you. On the other hand though, don't test my limits and think that my restraint reinforces or condones your disgusting habit to constantly belittle and put me down.

I struggle to give you the benefit of the doubt, perhaps your intentions were not what I imagined. Or had you, from the beginning of time, a personal vendetta against me? Just like how you turned K away. But whatever excuses I/people whom I confide in try to come up with, on your behalf, it doesn't seem to acquit you of the one thing you did today.

How can you be quite so nonchalant about throwing offensive words like that around? Does it not occur to you that it was phrased like a personal attack?

Whatever your intentions were, I believe what matters more is how it is perceived by others.

No comments: