Monday, September 07, 2009

Of tiny things, masks and new light

Sudden urge to fill this space up again

School has been what school is
Lagging behind tutorials, keeping awake during lectures
Except, with promos drawing near, there is an apparent air of tension -- once-upon-a-time slackers now picking up their pens, in a haste to copy notes which were blank from those 50 mins of la la land.

It's been quite a while since I penned down my thoughts, aside from my climbing journal that is. Pics are just a peek into the last month. I shan't talk more than 2 sentences about them though. I was thinking of diving into something deeper that Zheng Yu and I discussed about today.(Yes, we were studying. A bit at least)

Little things that were or were not to be cause big things to happen.
Though you may never see how something ended up to be like it is, it really stems from the tiny tiny details.
Like... entering into a Secondary School, choosing your first CCA, deciding on which stranger to start a conversation with, taking risks.
Think about it.

If I hadn't gone to AHS... I wouldn't seek the truth
If I wasn't an NPCC cadet, I would never have gotten to know him.
If I decided not to take the risk of having no PDPs, I would be in Air Weapons, not Climbing. And I would be so, so different.
If.

Hypothetical. Makes you think.

Something else led to us discussing how he knows her who knows him who once dated her friend. Really gives new meaning to "It's a small world after all"
It's a world where people put on masks.
Masks that hide their real identity.
Don't deny it, you have one on at the very moment.
That's how we're all similar -- we are in hiding.
The only difference is. How thick your mask is.
We want to impress that new classmate, outdo that competitor, feel accepted by the crowd.
We want to avoid lengthy explainations, shut our naggy relatives up, deny the unacceptable truth.
We incline towards the rich, the popular, the loud, the colourful, the good-looking, the lovable, the outgoing
So we do what it takes.

The thing with masks, though, it changes you. It changes the perception people have of you, which in turn changes how you react.

These masks change when we meet potential friends, enemies, lovers...giving rise to people seeing you in different lights.
Sweet and charming to one, a player and flirt to another.
Arrogant and bossy to one, full of leadership potential to another.

New light has been shed on old friends.
It will indeed change my view of them, but the light belongs not to me.



My light will depend on the mask I see.

No comments: