Monday, December 07, 2009

BATU CAVES! [5]






































DAY 5 [30th Dec, Mon]

0815 – Slept in later today, and I woke up thinking, “It’s the last day already? =S” sigh, that feeling of departure and emptiness washed over me as I hurried to pack and told my roomies to get ready. I had famous amos cookies and tea for breakfast(:

0830 – Stepping into the cab for the last time with Ms Lim and XiQuan, we barely said a word. It was a comfortable silence though. Comfortable for taking a quick doze before gaping at Camp5’s exterior. 0.0 how could I have missed it all this time???

1000 – Anal-ism started around here. Philip warned us the night before that Camp5 was strict on rules and yes ATAS comes with tedious SOPs. We signed and filled up forms, took membership cards and had our pictures taken. It was noon before we started climbing that beautiful place.

1200 – I initially wanted to boulder, but I had SOOOO much fun doing the high walls I didn’t want to stop! Hehee. Climbing on plastic again brought together technique and the new-found confidence we had. I think that channeled into climbing faster than we normally would have.

ROUTE #1 – Lime green 5C+ on top-rope

Easy climb, warm-up and moves that required momentum. I like.

ROUTE #2 – F. Orange 5C+ on lead.

Clement told me beforehand that it was pump-y toward the top plus I had to really commit to the big moves. But handholds were nice. As I got to the top, the pump in my forearms got the better of me. I wanted to give up. I wanted to down-climb and ask for tight. I wanted to fall off and make it seem like a slip. I shut those thoughts out, I mentally prepared myself for the last two panels and I reached the anchor. =) this climb boosted my confidence, and I was surprised at my determination to hang in there. Smiles all around.

ROUTE #3 – Marble 5C on lead

Fun climb, mostly jugs. Another route to get acclimatized to plastic walls (:

ROUTE #4 – Blue bridging 6A

This was an ungraded route. But if I had to grade it, I would say 6A. Firstly the holds aren’t great, and I had to depend a lot on my bridging, which was awkward at times due to high step-ups and disgusting handholds.. The final overhang near the top almost deterred me as well, but I got through after two attempts(: harder than Handsfree in school, and a different experience too.

ROUTE #5 – Blue pocket-y 6A

I wanted to do the 6A green tiles route that Jac and Rah had did earlier…but Kelly said I should attempt something harder. I asked her for the grade, because once again, it didn’t appear on the topo diagram. She said it was 6A but slightly harder than green. The tiles here… were mostly pockets and I remember there being a crux and I had to ask Val for help. I managed to on-site the route and dealt with the pumpiness! :D

Val and I sat there and watched Philip lead the this under-graded 6C+ route that Clement tried out. It was one of those rare moments that he grunted and growled and stepped with somewhat less preparedness than usual. Inspirational indeeeed.

1600 – We left to shower in the ATAS shower room, and then dined at the extinct A&Ws. It isn’t as good as I remembered it to be, and rushing through the meal didn’t make it taste any better..

1730 – Got on to First Coach and bade Philip & Kelly goodbye(: the bus home comprised half the movie “Just Friends” and card games and a marathon-massage session. Yes, I massaged Shakila, then Jo, then Sherwin. I can’t remember who else, but my thumb cramped after all that. Haha, I had some alone-time reading the mockingbird too(:

2330 – We arrived back in Singapore, earlier than expected. It was a sad farewell, but all in all the trip was a great one and I sent them all a message that night to thank them for making our natural rock trip a success(= can’t wait for my next trip!

No comments: