Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Los Angeles! Day 1

FAMILY HOLIDAY (LA, NY & FRANKFURT)
9th Nov – 31st Dec 2009
[Day 1; 9th Nov]

As I boarded SQ638 at 11.45pm that Tuesday, 8th Nov, I couldn’t help but feel sad leaving Singapore for such a long period. It wasn’t one thing in particular though, or someone for that matter. We were running late because our on-standby seats had only just been confirmed, hence for once, I didn’t exploit the free local calls from transit.

The flight was approximately six hours which I used to catch the Half Blood Prince (terrible, I agree with the masses…) and the remainder for resting and meals. Though we were on board the A380, this was probably the first time I’d felt queasy. =S sleeping wasn’t an easy task either; trying to get comfortable on their excuse for a “seat” probably took as long as the movie did.

It was 8’C in Narita when we’d arrived (7am; GMT+9) and we had 11 hours to kill in transit. Donning our coats, we walked around Narita Village and found ourselves in a temple. Pictures were taken, and I enjoyed the quaint shop houses and falling autumn leaves more than the temple. Bryan was really stoned by then, plus his attempt to sleep on a random staircase failed when the cleaners made him leave. Indeed, I was pleasantly surprised at the friendliness of the Japanese and their hardworking nature. When it was almost time to eat, we went to this famous Unagi place that a family we’d met on the plane recommended. It was SO GOOD. I just wished I had more appetite for the fantastic melt-in-your-mouth eel that was freshly slaughtered at the restaurant. Our family even sat on the floor to eat (the traditional way) though, I doubt we were doing it right.

Back in the airport, we slept on the seats at the Arrival Hall waiting for time to pass so we could check in and get on SQ12. This time, I managed a two-hour nap, way more comfortably may I add. We bought Royce chocolates in transit (at only 660 yen! Which is about S$9.00 (Taka sells it for S$15)) and I read a chapter of The Pact by Jodi Picoult, which I’d bought in KL’s kinokuniya.

This flight was 10 hours long, inclusive of 2 meals. The second I settled in my seat, I stretched across the adjacent (empty) seat between Bryan and dozed off, skipping dinner. I can’t remember what happened when exactly… but I re-watched 500 Days of Summer, this time taking note of when the songs were playing.

Favourite quote? Summer: They used to call me anal girl. (Tom chokes) I was very neat… and organized.”

Like the previous flight, I wasn’t feeling too good, especially after the lights were dimmed and I’d brushed my teeth. I had no appetite for breakfast because the sight of food made me want to grab for the sick bag. I can’t understand why it’s happening, I never once had trouble on long flights. I’m getting old. The last time to LA, I watched 4 movies in 24 hours, and though Bryan would get bloodshot eyes from watching 6, we never did complain. Actually, we usually welcomed long flights because in-flight entertainment is awesome.

Anyhow, we landed in LAX at about 12pm local time (GMT -8). And with an empty stomach, I waited surprisingly patiently for Uncle Kok Pan to pick us up and bring us to lunch.
We had yummy Vietnamese noodles, Pho, at a shop we frequented in Little Saigon. That, plus iced coffee, was plenty satisfying. By then, we’d also met up with Aunty Theresa (J-Zach was still at school) and my unhappiness on the flight had become history.

It’s 5pm and I’m now seated in their living room half-watching Bryan and J-Zach play Call of Duty on the Xbox 360. Dinner, so I’ve heard, comprises LOBSTERS (:
Check back later!

No comments: